Friday, November 6, 2009

Write a Wish or Ride a Wish

While in DC, we came across a sculpture courtyard that was part of the Smithsonian/Mall.  We almost missed it, it was so secluded...it was there we discovered the "Wishing Tree" with curious scraps of paper attached.

Upon further examination, the scraps of paper were just that.... old receipts, memo pad papers, gum wrappers, etc. that people had written wishes upon and stuck on the branches.

Most were unsigned, some were wishes of children transcribed by a parent ("I wish for world peace." -6 yr. old boy), and some were funny ("I wish you were a fountain"). I couldn't stop reading.


I was curious what people would write, given the chance to send a wish upon the breeze of a tree.

What were the stories behind the wishes?


"I wish for forgiveness."

Heartbreak.  Love.  Longing.

"I wish for a cure for Autism."

Struggle.  What ifs.  Longing.

"I wish my grandmother was alive."
Memories.  Missing.  Longing.

We long for things, so we wish.  We wish for things we don't have, so we touch.  Touch paper.  Touch the tree. Write our desires and ride our desires on the possibility that they are somehow heard clearer by the magic tree, or the universe, or by God himself.

I didn't add at the time, but I keep thinking about my own wishing tree and what I long for.

I wish for greater wisdom.
I wish for more capacity to love.
I wish for forgiveness.
I, too, wish my grandmother were alive.
Oh, yeah.  I wish Alex didn't poop a battery last Sunday.  (Relax, it wasn't a D cell... just a small disk kind.)

Comment a wish or two on my virtual wishing tree.  (It looks more like a white box with a funny word underneath, but if you squint it looks a little like a tree in a snowstorm.)

4 comments:

englandmom14 said...

*I wish I could be the kind of mom I've always longed to be.
*I wish I could smile more and cry less.
*I wish I were healthy so I could enjoy life more and make it more enjoyable for those around me.
*I wish all of my children will know happiness,good health, and lasting love no matter where life leads them.
*I wish I could see my parents more.
*I wish I could be active in the church again.
*I wish my faith was enough to carry my children through until they develop their own.

Leah said...

That was beautiful!

* I wish my kid would poop a battery so I can post that on my blog too someday.
* I wish I was a morning person.
* I wish there was continual peace in my home and less fighting from the kids.
* I wish we were so loaded that my husband could retire and we could be full time philanthropists and spend it on helping others and funding research for cures.
* I wish my son had a friend.

Julie Smith said...

I wish I'd gone to Washington D.C. with you guys and seen that tree for myself.:)

Brit said...

-I wish I could have known my grandmother Naomi
-I wish we would all think quickly and speak slowly, extending to each other the benefit of the doubt