Tuesday, December 13, 2011

#2 Dinner and a little dancin

Benson asked if we could host a dinner for his group for Homecoming.

I tried not to fall over from shock and excitement and pressure.

So I did what anyone would do, naturally.  I called my mother in law.  She is the QUEEN of catering, and she took me from deer in the headlights to mother of the year in spotlights.

But I thought of the false ceiling of Christmas lights myself.  Pat pat pat.  Michael was a good sport and installed permanent hooks in discreet places so we can recreate this partay of lights anytime.  I have a feeling this is only the beginning.  Oh, yeah.


Aren't the girls beautiful?  And modest?  I've never met a more grateful and polite group of kids.  So impressed.

I forgot to mention one small, well, significant detail:  Benson switched high schools this year.  FOR HIS SENIOR YEAR.  I was leery of this decision, but all along he kept saying he had a good feeling about it.  I mean, it's his senior year, the year where you celebrate with your life long (well, you know) friends and the end of their lives as they know it.  His reasons?  He wanted a new start.  He wanted to see if a new group of friends would be less drama and more fulfilling and more on the same page with his personal choices.

My very smart mother in law suggested the change would be good preparation for all the changes he has ahead.  I think she is right. :-)

I'm proud of him and his maturity to stick himself in a vulnerable situation and make it work.  He joined cross country and got involved in clubs and totally went in feet first.  This was surprising to me as our move was the hardest on him a few years ago.  I saw a new side of Benson that gave me respect for his ability to lead his life and will help me to let go next year when he heads off to college.

Way to go Benson.  I am seeing glimpses of the man you are becoming.  My heart swells.

1 comment:

Sovic Clan said...

It looks so amazing! I was SO impressed with your mad skills!!