Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sandcastles and Pyramids

I'm just not in the mood to chronicle everything from this summer. Blah.

I was awakened this morning in my bed by a stray cat that jumped on my face.  So aside from the scratch on my cheek I found myself with a quiet house and some computer time. A gift.

I have too many projects going on and I love it... except I need a maid.  So I force myself to mom up and get work done instead of playing  (i.e. photography, painting, writing, reading, perusing through music, etc.)  But cleaning is SO monotonous.  This is my battle, to balance necessary with unnecessary... which changes fluidly... daily.

Someone said recently that cleaning a house is like building a beautiful sand castle only to have it knocked down every day. I'm OK with that, I realize it's just how it is... I just thought it perfectly explains why it feels like one is spinning their wheels and going crazy.

We have a lot of activities going on, more than I am willing to admit to.  General Conference is coming up and we will be counseled to simplify and I'll sit there and wonder how. My good better and best sign hangs in my bathroom as a constant reminder that not EVERYTHING I think of to do should be considered a "best".  So I sort out what's important and usually find the more fun it is, the less necessary it is, too.  It's like the food guidelines pyramid of life.

Top of the pyramid: FATS AND SUGARS=PLAY.  Use sparingly. Sparingly??
Then there's the gargantuan BREAD, CEREAL, RICE and PASTA group: 6-11 servings per day.  I interpret that as the LAUNDRY, ENTRYWAY, MEAL PREP, and TAXI group.  Definitely 6-11 servings per day.  Or more.

I'm about ready to hang that pyramid.  Upside down.  

I think I keep reaching back to summer, trying to keep it alive. I'm still determined to fit in one more magical summer evening, complete with low lighting, food and laughing while ironically my garage is it's own continent needing conquering. I need more time.

"How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn.  How did it get so late so soon?" -Dr. Suess

signing out,
E

My little man who has no concept of time. Only of the moment. How great is childhood?




P.S. My other personal favorite, just for you cheeseballs like me: "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx

Press HERE to buzzer that bad joke.

No comments: