Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Writer... Write Her... Right Her

I am a writer. Well I don't actually believe that because we all are. Writing is just harnessing words which we all do every day. I'm not a particularly commanding speaker, nor do I seem to hold people's attention for long... whether that's my annoying voice or my delayed brain function I'm not really clear about why. But if someone says, hey can you help me word something? Oh, I'm your girl. I want in. I can craft well with a slowed down process and if I can weigh out the effects of different attempts. Yes, I love words so much. I love their power and effect. I love that when used properly they can change the course of someone's life. But you must be aware of the nuances, the backstories. That's where Emily has "entered the chat".

I've had a few people strongly encourage me to write. I have a couple of ideas. But what is my style, genre, or niche? Maybe uncovering insights from under rocks unturned? Maybe in writing personal notes to people about what they mean to me. I don't know if people want to read whole books about that. I barely know if they want to read their notes I write.

Recently I was called to be a RS Society teacher. Really, I am a facilitator. Maybe a commentator on comments shared. Maybe I'm supposed to lead a conversation through certain hoops to a grand finale. Eh, can I just be the main person in a conversation? If I think about it like that, like I'm having a personal conversation with the entire RS, then maybe I'm going the right way. I need to become a good interviewer of others. Ask good questions. Questions that are not loaded with assumptions or opinions. Be curious and teachable and interested in knowing more. Being a student of the students, aaahhhh. But it's live and I can't backspace or tailor the conversation to the individual because there are 40 different women with 40 different experiences and takes on life that likely even contradict each other. So it's an exercise in applying thought generally enough that they can pick up individualized insight. I need to pray for me.

One thing I've noticed is that I could work on sifting through details that matter or not. Sometimes I think the reader needs all the details for a full picture. I'm learning that I can do more succinct writing using careful vocabulary laced with all kinds of information. I'm also learning that not all details are actually important. But have you ever read a news article and scanned every word for more details only to be left wondering? I hate that. Am I nosy? Perhaps. Am I trying to be judge and jury? Definitely. But am I wrong? No.

No comments: