Monday, April 19, 2010

Kids? What kids?

Truth:  I may sometimes make choices as if I still had a small family.  Slightly irresponsible of me.

Exhibit A:  I was watching my friend's kids (Emily S.'s 4) overnight and remembered I needed to go to Ikea for a lamp.  I thought it would give us something to do, and Michael was busy.  I only had 3 of my own that night, piece o' cake.  So I had seven kids ages 4-11 in tow.  "We're just going in CIRCLES!"  I heard more than once.  Um, yeah.  This is IKEA.  There was plenty of bouncing on beds and swinging in chairs going on in my wake, but I kept walking and they kept up.  I made up for it by getting frozen yogurt at the end, but somehow I think it was secretly just the icing on the cake of a grand time.  I only had one stranger comment to me in the elevator as all 7 jumped upon lift off:  "Um, are they all yours?"  Me: NO.  (I only have 6 of my own, geesh).  And then:  "Are you crazy?"  Me: YES, of course I am.   And with that, our little clan happily skipped off the elevator arm in arm.

Exhbit B:  I drove to Phoenix for Spring Break with the kids, no Michael, just my savvy-self drove... spelled off by some stretches by Benson and his driver's permit.  Stayed with my sister and her 7 kids for a week. 13 kids total under one roof.  My sister is such a sport.

p.s. Bonus- I got a postcard in Phoenix for the Ikea lady, she'll love it:  "Wish You Were Here".  And she will wish she was because we had a blast-o-rama. 

More to come about Spring Break in Phoenix and the summer tease that it was.

6 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

Ikea is a perfect place to take 7 kids:) Stores need to know if their products can handle children jumping on them, swinging from them, dropping them:)

Jealous of Phoenix!!!

englandmom14 said...

so fun! i used to do that, sort of. when tony and alisha were small i was the "everyone babysitter" as i never left my kids with anyone. one time my friend left her 3 with me, i had my niece and nephew, my two, and my other niece. 8 kids and the oldest was 7. overnight. AND we went in the hot tub (temperature appropriate). was i nuts? fun times. wish i had that energy today. plus, remember my house in mt. park when the playroom was overflowing with kidlets? ah, good times. enjoy it while you can kiddo! cudos for the courage~

Kathryn said...

When we lived in Burley, we lived behind a Smith's grocery store. I actually kept a grocery cart under our carport so I had transportation to and from with my five children ages 7 and down. Yes, we were CRAZY!! I miss those days....

Lekili said...

I don't think I was ever as brave as you...or as chill and definitely not EVER as cool. Seriously.

Leah said...

OH...IKEA??? That place is like running a marathon! I drop dead after making one loop. I am so impressed with your confidence to do that. You rock!

I'm so glad you got to spend time with Jennifer and fam. Love her. Cousins are the best and it's things like having 13 kids under one roof that make the best memories!

Jen Paris said...

I love your posts. you make me smile every time!!! :) Glad to hear you're doing great. You're going to L.O.V.E. the cruise! Can't wait to hear all about it.