Monday, June 28, 2010

Adrenalin

Scene:  Sunday morning 4:45 am, snoozing after a late night celebrating our 17th anniversary.

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

My eyes shoot open and I realize someone is pounding on my french doors in our bedroom from the backyard.

My first thought:  Pretend I am asleep so the intruder will go rob someone else's house.
Second thought:  Is it my friends trying to kidnap me for another night out?  No way, they would never do that at 4:45 a.m.  Or would they?
Third thought:  Maybe Michael went outside in the night and got locked out.  I reach over:  Nope. He's there, sleeping away.  Weird.  Am I just hearing things?
Fourth thought:  Is it my ghost friend?

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

"Michael!!  Wake up!  Someone is banging on the door in our room!"
Fifth thought:  It's definitely an intruder.
Sixth thought:  There's an emergency and no one can get a hold of us.
Seventh thought:  Something is terribly wrong.

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

Michael flies out of bed, I scoot to the other side, away from the door.  Hearts pounding.  We have no gun, no bat.

I cringe as he draws the curtain back.  My life flashes before my eyes.... and...... and......

It's Jackson, our 5 year old.

What is he doing outside?

"Did you guys already have ice cream?  I fell asleep!"

WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE?  "Your door was locked, that's why."

Oh, yeah.  We accidentally locked our bedroom door.

We had promised ice cream to those who had gotten work done while we were out and he was making sure he hadn't been forgotten. 

We get Jackson tucked back in bed with the promise of ice cream in the morning.  Back in our bed our hearts are still pounding and we get the giggles and it takes an hour to get back to sleep.

Yeah. Gotta love the adrenalin rush of parenthood.  We're kinda knee deep in it around here.

8 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That kids is awesome!!! I thought maybe Em was trying to kidnap you without me!!! Happy Anniversary!

Robin Grant said...

Your life is one crazy adventure after another. Never a dull moment. Lucky!!!!

Cindy said...

First of all, Happy Anniversary! Second, Jackson is one funny kid. Life is always an adventure when kids are around.

englandmom14 said...

hi emmy. sorry i haven't been keeping in touch. it has been rough. happy anniv. our 17th is in november. Question: How can a child remember that you said he could have icecream AT 4:45 IN THE AM, but same said child will forget most everything else you've said???? Maybe not Jackson but mine are sure like that! You gotta laugh 'cause nobody can cry through a bazillion years of parenting. I'm on my 29th year now. Happily my kids are ecstatic on their holiday in utah with Lisha and Adam. a reprieve!!!! happy summer. now get some sleep!

Jen Paris said...

no one else noticed the ACCIDENTALLY part? that made me laugh out loud!

Julie Smith said...

Oh, my gosh. I can't believe he wasn't scared to go outside in the dark. What a silly billy!

Debra said...

I see what you mean about your stories. Pretty cute. I'm sure it topped off your anniversary - Did Jackson get his ice cream?

Unknown said...

this is so funny, you are a great writer!!!