I'm worried that I'm starting to turn into a mommy blogger. ("Too late." I can hear one of you saying that now.)
I think the term is used in regards to how someone defines their blog. If mommy blogs are all about the kids and family, etc..... yeah, I've totally been a mommy blogger. But I want to branch out, stretch my brain, and write more opinions... intermingled with featuring my universe, aka: my kids. Pfha! There is more to me than just seeing the funny in my family life.
Seriously about half of my posts so far I've never published. But I go through the exercise of putting my thoughts together and that alone helps me clear my head. However, for a wide array of reasons, I chicken out of posting them. You consider who might read your thoughts.... so I've been held back from saying what I really want to say sometimes.
My kids read my blog for instance. Blogging about them seems to have a positive influence because I've tried to be careful. I need them to trust me and feel like I am their confidant. No embarrassing stories or rants about them. Heaven knows I've held back a few things.
I also feel constrained because part of my obligations with being a part of the Orchestra at Temple Square are not to share anything about the Tabernacle Choir, the stories, the upcoming events.... not that I want to share those things all that much but a lot of my worst/funniest/happiest personal stories happen in that setting. I could write volumes.
Not to mention my mother and mother in law read my blog, so one must not air too much dirty laundry, eh? :) Truly they are valiant women whom I respect and love and I know they would not judge me too harshly no matter what I say. But you know what I mean.
So.... as much as I feel constrained in my blogging in some ways, I want to strain in others. I want to evolve as a blogger, write more boldly and find my voice clearer. Writing seems to allow me more freedom and a chance at saying things exactly how I feel. In real life talking I wish I could backspace!
I raise my glass of hot cocoa to a new phase of blogging. Adding an ounce of courage to my opinions. A dollup of sensitivity, and 1 cup of raw thoughts. Great, I totally mommy blogged a recipe now.
Since I just opened THAT can of worms, I can't help myself but share some funny Alex photos.
He's like an old man complete with comb-over, rootbeer belly, and hands free to work the remote.
I feel better now. So if I'm part mommy blog, and part personal opinion blog, what does that make me? Stay tuned and find out. I'm thinkin' I have a Mompinion blog.
5 comments:
I love your blog!
You could always create a second blog with a more anonymous identity, using a different email/password,etc., and then write whatever you felt like writing, without worrying too much about who is reading. I know a few people who have done that.
I love you Emily! And I love Kimberly's idea...only if you go private, I want in.
I third Kim's opinion and second Lekili's. I check almost daily to see if you have some more good stuff for us. Love, love, LOVE your blog!
I love your mommy blog. It is funny. I don't have funny things happen. We have too many teenagers for that. I'd be all weeping and gnashing if I were to mommy blog. I say keep it coming!
Alex is sooooo cute!!!!
Well Emily. It sounds like you are in your 30's trying to find your voice. I'm in my 50's and still searching for mine. I think I need to just put it out there wrong or right. Remember the fun song from Lost Horizons, "question me an answer right or wrong. I will answer with a question wrong or right." Anyway something like that. Just discovered the other day... that the word vocation really means... let your life speak. So. about the pansies; they love the colder weather and then they will come back up in the spring.
Post a Comment