Monday, September 27, 2010

Checks and Balances

Jackson crackin the whip at the family getaway. 


I have been out of sorts with myself lately, left feeling unbalanced.  Come to think of it, when have I FELT balanced?

I took that train and ran with it.

So I've been trying to identify what makes a "good" day for me.  Well, it's complicated with the different highs and lows, but ideally you hit enough highs to make that bless-ed stamp of GOOD.

At dinner we play "Sweet and Sour" as a family.  Everyone says their "sweet" of the day and then shares their "sour" of the day.  The good and the bad.  It gives voice and insight into each other's lives.  I love it because we hear very tender things that might have slipped away unnoticed.  Plus I actually have to decide how I felt about different events that happened to me that day.

Last week I drafted some new personal daily goals.  I decided that in order to feel balanced I have to at least do something (or more) in each of eight categories.  The top of the page says "Today I Will..." (notice the commitment pattern here) and then the categories as follows:

Be Healthy
      eat whole grains
      drink 8 glasses of water _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
      20 minutes of exercise
      5 fruits and vegetables _ _ _ _ _

Be Productive
     organize a space
     dejunk a pile
     2 loads of laundry finished _ _
     prepare dinner
     run a needed errand

Be Smarter
     read scriptures for 30 minutes
     read a book or blogs for 30 minutes
     research something
     practice an instrument

Be Loving
     hug every child _ _ _ _ _ _
     give 5 compliments _ _ _ _ _
     help when someone needs my help
     participate in putting someone to bed

Be Creative
     beautify or create something
     blog

Be a Teacher
     help the kids practice _ _ _ _
     help with homework
     share something I believe with my children

Be Clean
     cleanify something
     take time for myself to get ready for the day

Be rejuvenated
     talk to a friend
     take a nap
     actively check off this list!
     smile on purpose 5 times _ _ _ _ _


Doesn't that sound like a good day if you even did half of those things?  I am doing a lot of these anyway without thinking, but why not mentally take note and give ourselves credit?  Or give ourselves permission to do something that helps us feel balanced?

I can't tell you the difference I've been feeling.  I try to do as many as I can because each one I check off means more good has happened.  My heart is softened because I can see that I am making a difference, that I matter, and that I am being the kind of mom that feels content and at peace enough to give to others purposefully.

Most of all it helps me not feel like running away and joining the circus where my juggling act is appreciated.

I can feel this working.  Hot diggity.

Alex, crack that whip!  Momma's gettin' busy!

p.s. I just realized I plagiarized Pres. Hinckley kinda with all the Be's.  But I promise I won't make a craft with Bee's to remind myself to stay on track.

8 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

I love it! What great lists you made! I need to do that and print it out so I can make it happen! Good job Team Rice!

Julie Smith said...

Oh, it's that staying productive thing that gets me every time. That's also the one that brings me down if I don't do it though. Dang!

Six-Pack Momma said...

I like! I think I will make my own B's. I had never thought of it before. Pres.. Hinckley gave those to the youth of the church, but why not personalize it for what makes me be a better person and feel good about my day?

Anonymous said...

See, like i said, you're perfect!

Anonymous said...

p.s. i love being anonymous.

Kathryn said...

Love the "sweet and sour" idea! I think I'll adopt that with Randy. Wish my kids were still home. Best wishes with your goals!

Unknown said...

SOOO true in every way. Wonderful.

Jeannette said...

You forgot one.... Be nice to your mommy by bringing over the grandkids for her to continue spoiling.