Monday, April 11, 2011

Break it up

Spring. noun /spriNG/ The season before summer.
Break. noun /brAk/  to pause or to halt.

And boy was it needed.

I think I have stumbled on my strength as a mom.  I don't know how I got 6 kids (that's not my strength).  I mean, I know HOW but the sheer number all at once starts sending me into tailspins.  But it's totally doable at the one on one level, at least for me.  That's where I love to be.

That's what made spring break so successful this time.

I took the two girls for a couple of days.  Came home, and then took the boys for a couple of days.  That way, I was always on vacation (sing it baby) and I always had a pair of babysitters at home with the littler boys.  Everyone got their individual time, I never had fights in the car, and everything was less expensive.  I tell you, I am on to something.

We'll still take family vacations, don't freak out Mom.

GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN

We girls went up to Logan to a bed and breakfast and met up with cousins/aunt and Nanna for a splendid time. 


We window shopped main street. 

The good news was we explored prom and wedding dresses in a cute shop complete with bride pedestal and mirrors for trying on dresses. 
The bad news was I've been carrying around a diamond we found at McDonald's 2 months ago and found out at the jewelers it was not real.  No jackpot after all. Boo.

At the bed and breakfast we got to choose from many luxurious rooms, complete with jetted tubs and fireplaces.  I especially loved the squeals of delight as they ran from room to room.  They ordered popcorn to their room right off and played in the fancy tubs.  It's so fun being a girl, I've decided.

We ate out, tried on shoes, and watched movies until we couldn't stay up one more minute.



GUY TIME (plus Mom)

This all got started in the first place because I wanted to take the boys and give them exposure to colleges they might want to consider.  (Hence a girls trip.)

We started at Utah State.  I was far more impressed than I expected to be.  Beautiful new buildings, fun traditions, a great campus bus system that compliments their amazing on campus housing... I was actually getting excited for this next step in their lives, and that's a complete 360 really. The best part of the day was when someone asked me if I (yes, ME) were the new student.  It's true, I'm not old enough to be sending my son off to college!

Next stop was BYU-I.  Our friends informed us it is lovingly knick-named BYU-"I Do".  Ha. Ha.  It wasn't full of students (graduation) and there wasn't an amazing kick off video like at Utah State, but there was a wonderful spirit there.  Great facilities and certainly an amazing faculty.  I especially liked the new auditorium, designed just like the Conference Center in SLC, only smaller.  So cute!  Still, it holds 15,000 people!

We stayed in St. Anthony with our long time friends, the Grants.  Hi Robin!  Their son will be attending BYU-I in the fall, so he toured with us.  We've known him since he was 3 when we parents were all students.  How amazing to see all our boys that once rode in a blue trike gang around the playground together now heading off into the world for their own college experiences.

The trip home was stretched out since:
The good news:  we went to one of those Body World types of exhibits.  Real bodies on display in action (or in parts).  So THATS what I look like.  Gross.
The bad news:  I got a speeding ticket.  My first one ever.
The "unknown until now" news:  Idaho Falls actually has waterfalls.  I had no idea.  I totally get the name now.




I feel reconnected with my kids.  They are a blast.  It won't be long before I'm doing this again.


But you know who everyone was happy to get back to?  You guessed it.  Bubby.
Wearing Grandma's glasses
And Jackson has it all planned that he and I are going on our own trip to the beach.  Just like Mommy and Daddy.  Um, no.  But mommy and daddy ARE going to the beach in less than two weeks.

I kinda like my life.  Like really it's great.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Girls and Boys on separate trips?! Why didn't I ever think of that. You are definitely the SMARTEST mom in the west and I LOVE you too! :o)

Sovic Clan said...

What fun trips! You rock as a mom, Em!!

Lekili said...

You're such a fabulous mom! Making great memories that will last forever.

The Idaho Falls Temple was my temple growing up...always loved it. And the falls.

Jeannette said...

I don't know what is so different about taking the girls on a trip separate from the boys. Every trip we took was just with the girls.... (Dad WISHED we had boys)