Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sledding Like Snobodies Business



"Christmas is not over because there's still snow, Mom!" Oh, dear. Jackson and I both would love it if Christmas were every day, but all good things must come to an end. Except the snow just goes on and on. Really, I shouldn't be shoveling at 8 months prego, but I've got to get out of the house sometime! The snow has been relentless.

Kids love the snow and see it in an entirely different perspective. I can appreciate that. I remember the glory days when sledding was like narrowly escaping death and over-riding internal warning signals. These days, ALL the warning signals are going off as I waddle and slip around on the ice...

If it were up to me, at this point, I would prefer to send them off sledding while I catch up on a good book by a heat source. However, Michael insists that I come and "have a good time with us". OK.... include me.... sledding.... how? My role? I am the moral supporter-- "Mom, did you see that?", sled racing cheerleader-- "On your mark, get set, go!", owie kisser--"That tree must have really hurt!", and glove reattacher--"Your hands are bright pink Jackson! That's why we wear gloves!" But being on the sidelines in a heap of oversized snow clothes is what life is all about for moms sometimes... gotta love it.

Benson received a snowboard from a "secret santa" on Christmas morning, just after we finished opening presents. Being the thrill seeker that he is, and the fact that ALL of his friends are big snowboarders, this was the ultimate wow factor for him. He thinks he's ready for the black diamond runs. We think he might want to practice first.


Josh and Jackson are right there behind Benson as snow daredevils. Boys. And to think we are building another boy.... it's a wonder that we have never had a broken bone (knock on wood).



The girls? Totally independent sledders as well, but more into trains, snow angels and sledding with Dad (who whoops it up all the way down). And the best part? Hot chocolate when it's over. Now we're talkin'.

3 comments:

Julie Smith said...

Em, it's time to move to New Mexico and get out of the snow. Also, it would free up a lot of time you're spending at practices/performances.:)

Becker Family said...

Emily!
I'm so glad I found your blog. I didn't know you are expecting! Congratulations! How exciting! I'm so curious what you will name your little guy with all the suggestions you have listed. We have a blog, but it's private. If you email me I can send you an invite. rebecker3@gmail.com Best of luck with your delivery!

Robin Grant said...

Hey Emily. Looks like a lot of fun. You are always welcome to come up here and go sledding when all the snow down there is gone - like in June!