Friday, August 7, 2009

Time to Heal, STAT!

Okay, that last post was a little intense.
The truth is, I'm vegging out on the couch and getting pampered a lot while on pain meds.

The worst part of the surgery was them numbing my leg up and the smell of my burning flesh as they cauterized me. "So THAT'S what I smell like when I burn! I probably wouldn't take the time to notice under different circumstances." Yeah, the doctor warmed up to me after awhile. Good thing, since I have to go see him every 6 months for LIFE. I found out he never got his merit badge in sewing which wasn't comforting as he stitched.

The other gross thing was seeing my flesh floating in a little container for the lab, like shark chum. He had to take layers clear up to the muscle, including fat which I encouraged him to take generously. What? It's my blog, so I can talk about gross stuff if I want. I might even add pictures, so approach this blog carefully in the future.

My incision is about 4-5 inches long so I'll have to come up with a nice TALL tale to go along with it. Glad it's over: the day of eating chocolate and endlessly playing on the computer without guilt has finally arrived! Big whoop if I have to do this again. BRING IT!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want skin cancer too so I can lay around. No fair! MOOOOOOM!!! OK, Maybe I just want an excuse to sit and vegitate on the couch. Now that I think about it,I think my back is starting to hurt....Wish I was there to rub your feet! Love ya!-Jennifer

Julie Smith said...

You go girl! Glad you're on the mend.

englandmom14 said...

glad you're home and healing. isn't it a shame that it takes something LIKE THIS to give us a chance to relax GUILT free! What is wrong with this picture? As it is, I can see you thinking about what you "should" be doing anyway. Keep us posted as to the progress etc... I've had a 10 inch scar down my left knee since i was 15. even though it is mostly white now, it is thick and still obvious. when people see it they are like WOW! If they could see the road map of scars my body is, they would think nothing of that one, ha! I remember when I had to get my hysterectomy and the doc had to do a vertical even though i'd had a horizontal c-section and he felt bad about the l-o-n-g scar etc... I just laughed and said, "you've got to be kidding me! yeah, right if i didn't have THIS scar I could wear a thong bikini" lol. hey they are battle wounds. you earned it, BE PROUD! (and make up a REALLY good story, ha!

FLEUR de Lo said...

I had a precancerous mole removed from my hand when I was a lad. I couldn't believe the question when they asked me if I wanted to see it!?! {Unfortunately it was a rhetorical question, as they simultaneously shoved the glass jar in my direct line of sight--not my favorite moment, either.}

I'm sorry you're suffering.

Jen Paris said...

happy healing!

Kathryn said...

What kind of friend am I?! I wanted to see your scar and such and I didn't even ask about it or you or anything this morning. Kathryn's in her own little world once again! Next time we're together, I want you to walk right up to me and ask, "Wanna see my scar?" Anyway, it was great to see you this morning.

Emily said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I would be happy to show my scar off to anyone who doesn't mind me hiking my black skirt above my black knee-highs at the broadcast, Kathryn. That alone might make you sick.