Wednesday, December 2, 2009

So much to say.....

I keep continually posting on my blog in my head and then get disappointed when I realize I never actually got to it and I'm getting behind.... so this post will be highlights from my "head posts":

Stefanie

My sister Stefanie graduated a couple of weeks ago from her rehab program.  Her son Kaleb (14) came and visited her and all of us for the weekend to celebrate.  She has now moved into some transitional housing. We are proud, hopeful, and inspired by the amazing progress she has made.  My parents and I are nervous and anxious about what comes next.  Will it stick?  Has she truly recovered?  Is her will strong enough?  It seems the whole world is hers for the taking now, but it is up to her to realize that.  *  Her recovery is not over and will continue to absorb her full attention.  The directors of her program said that only a couple of people before her have overcome her particular set of addictions and they hadn't expected her to make such amazing progress.  Stefanie is a beat the odds type of girl, like my mom, though.... never underestimate her!  She went back to smoking *, but feels like it helps curb worse addictions.  She choses church sometimes to fill some of her class requirements, but it's not really in her heart right now.  That's OK.  Baby steps, right?
Stef hanging out with Kaleb.  He has a lot of his mom's fun personality in him.  Kaleb is practically a celebrity at my house my kids love him so much.  He lives a few hours away with his dad and step-mom.
Turkey, Sickness and Dreams
Thanksgiving was a blast up in Albion, Idaho again.  I love that place.  I didn't overeat and the company was the best!  I started getting sick Friday night with a terrible head cold and spent the next 27 out of 30 hours sleeping until I had to get up to go play the Sunday morning broadcast.  Sometime during all that drug induced sleep, I had the most surprising and delightful visit with my Grandpa Wilson who passed away 10 years ago.  I miss him and Grandma so much.  He came out from behind a door and thought it was quite humorous to see my reaction.  "Why should you be so surprised (to see me)?" he teased.  He was just the same, even livelier than ever.  And younger.  Grandma wasn't there with him, and I really wanted to see her, too.  But it was like he was showing me that we are all so close by, much closer than we realize and that she was around somewhere, too.  Just one of those dreams that you don't want to wake up from it's so real.

Boot Flashback
So, following the broadcast last Sunday I went to put my violin away and found THIS in my case.  Very funny, anonymous prankster.  I have a feeling that this is one of those stories that won't go away quietly....

(If you are just tuning in, go back a few entries to the entry with a boot and you'll understand why I have a gummy rat and gummy maggots in my violin case)


Music
This Sunday is the First Presidency Christmas Fireside at 6:00 p.m.  Don't forget to play "Where's Emily?" as the choir and orchestra will provide the music.  Don't play "Where's Monson" -- no challenge in that.


Be sure to watch your PBS listings for the choir's amazing Christmas concert with Brian Stokes Mitchell from last year.... it just came out.  I went to an autograph signing where he was at yesterday and he was just as personable and charming in person as he was on stage.  Love him!  What a great concert!  I'm really looking forward to next week when we perform with Natalie Cole and David McCullough.  I'm sure it will be over the top, and you'll get to see it next Christmas on PBS when it comes out.


I Got Peeps
One of my best friends in the orchestra is Kathy.  We've been roomates on tour, stand partners countless times, and spent a lot of time helping each other figure out life..... anyway, now this sounds like I'm name dropping, but you have to check her out in this month's Ensign, pg. 17!!  She's famous!!  I like to think she's laughing at an inside joke with me.  So to be utterly obnoxious, I created a fan page on facebook for her Ensign picture...   I love that girl. And seriously, who has a picture of  themself in the Ensign THAT BIG?  How cool is that?  And now you can play "Where's Kathy?"  Sunday night, too!


4 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

Your sister looks so great in her pictures! I hope she continues to do well.

High 5 to whoever put that in your case!!!

Can't wait to play 'Where's Emily"!!

englandmom14 said...

congrats to stef. we still think of her and wish her well. can we have an update on hayden please? good to see her with her older son and also that she had time with your family. loved the rat and the maggots. never thought i'd say that! you must feel famous with all your broadcasts and playing with a world renown group like the MTO. i should ask for your autograph. as for the dream...things like that happen to me a lot and i don't believe it is anything less than a true miracle and a chance to "keep in touch". what a blessing. love it when you blog. miss you!

Kathryn said...

Oh, Emily! You are one of the most clever people I know! Wish I'd had my picture taken with Brian Stokes Mitchell! So... You still don't know who left the "gift" in your violin case? Kudos to them! And... best wishes all around to your sister, Stefanie!

Julie Smith said...

Oh, I love that dream. I want a dream like that with my dad.