Friday, January 15, 2010

Highlights, Lowlights, and Resolutions

Are your New Year's Resolutions getting off to a great start?  I am jazzed about the clean slate, the renewal.

Just taking stock for myself, but you are welcome to peek in:

Highlights of 2009:
Best thing of all:  welcoming Alex to our family
seeing each of our sibling's families from across the country
Michael and I escaped to St. George, NYC, and DC
2 Albion, Idaho trips
Benson made it through an intense summer school program
Josh became the school mascot
Jessica started the violin
Aubrey learned to do a round off back-handspring
Jackson started learning to read
Alex learned to walk (backwards, too)
My sister Stefanie graduated from her intense rehab program
Seeing Hayden go to a wonderful family
I lost some weight
Michael refinished the back deck
Michael received national recognition for his work
My friend Amy is finally pregnant (with twins!!)
My friend Emily welcomed two Ethiopian girls to her family.  (They are so cute I've offered to do a time share option.... they aren't going for it so far.)
Many wonderful experiences with the Orchestra at Temple Square

Lowlights of 2009
Went Kaput:  transmission, dishwasher, and freezer
Broken:  cello, trampoline, windshield
taking our huge treehouse tree down in the backyard
Saying goodbye to little Hayden
Missing the tour with the Motab
Jackson's Boot "incident"
many of our friends losing employment due to the economy
melanoma stuff

Goals for 2010
digitize all our photos
organize closets
memorize a piano piece
develop a recipe book (so the kids can cook, too)
make bread regularly
cook with the kids a LOT
sew an orchestra skirt
play with the kids more
get the kids back into music lessons
make landscaping improvements
take vacations-- San Diego, Phoenix, etc.
write a book
refinish the kitchen table
design a family tree mural
learn a new instrument proficiently
plus the cliched "lose weight and exercise more" yada yada yada

Lessons learned from this exercise:
I have many more highlights than lowlights.  Yay!  And it's more uplifting for me to read the highlights.
I probably have too many goals.  Ah, the Grasshopper AND Ant in me are coming out.  This list might reflect more of a bucket list than a 2010 "do it or bust" list.

2 comments:

Julie Smith said...

My goal for this coming year is to get your recipe for waffle cones.

Unknown said...

Where's the Ant?? I'm not seeing her! But the grasshopper is wearing me out. Man, your goals are way better than my goals. In fact, my new goal is to make better goals. To make "Emily" goals.