Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sorry Utah Drivers


Yeah!  Benson!

Benson passed the learner's permit test at the DMV yesterday and I let him drive home from FARMINGTON.  It occurred to me after we got started that we hadn't even as much as let him drive in a church parking lot, let alone through 2 cities!!  WHAT WAS I THINKING??

In my nervousness, I had him take what I thought was a frontage road and it ended up being a freeway onramp.  Yes, we were DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY within a minute of his first time behind the wheel.  (They probably arrest parents for such recklessness.)

We made it home and he was honked at only once.  Not bad for a first time.  Easing on the gas and the brakes will take some work, but all in all..... we didn't DIE, so.......SUCCESS!!


Everyone was anxious to try out Benson's driving, and so was Benson, so he drove us to the grocery store.  But before we left, Jessica showed up in this getup.  Love that girl!  Sense of humor and a sense of safety!

8 comments:

Robin Grant said...

Congratulations! And start saving now for that insurance jump. I about died. I'm so grateful that here in our little podunk part of the world, driver's ed is still through the school and so the new driver gets to drive with parents and family ONLY after they have driven with a teacher for about 8 hours. Seems to take an edge of the stress.

Jenn said...

Our 13 yr old has been asking questions about driving since she was about 10! Can you say AAk!?! I'm sure there are lots of advantages and disadvantages to having your kids be old enough to drive. :D

Julie Smith said...

So it's come to this. I cannot believe you have a driver. And what happened to the pinecone?

Six-Pack Momma said...

YIKES! How do they gorw so fast?! I've got a year...or at least that what he thinks. ;)

englandmom14 said...

I would not be able to handle this. Trev was 15 in November but has no desire to start driving. Tony and Alisha didn't learn until about 21 and 22. We didn't have an extra car (at first it was a 12 passenger econo line van. not great for new drivers!). They didn't have a car to drive and at first we lived right off of a horrible street that was like a freeway. Later i finally taught them in Litchfield Park,AZ which was more sedate. They learned quickly. We didn't have driving in the schools. They were good safe drivers from the onset. i think their maturity level was a bonus and it sure helped me. we only have the one car now (for scott) since i am unable to drive being disabled) so it is kind of good that trev shows no interest. good luck to you my dear! it will be a help though huh, with 6 kids and all.

Sovic Clan said...

How exciting!! One honk is not too bad at all! I gave my dad a bloody nose on my first attempt. I parked too close to a pole, smacked into it, and my dad's face hit the dashboard. Oh those were the days:)

Leah said...

Alive = success. Hilarious!

Lekili said...

Emily--you kill me. After teaching four kids to drive--and living to tell the tale-- I can't even imagine living through this story. I think Benson should know that you have an amazing level of trust in him.