Monday, March 8, 2010

Sew What or It Isn't What it Seamed

Dear Costume Lady for the School Musical,

When Josh filled out his application to audition for the school musical I don't recall a "can your mother sew" check box.  I think I would have remembered that and accidentally lost his application.

Two weeks ago, I remembered to pick Josh up on time and you handed me a 50 pound bag of fabric and instructions to sew his FOUR costumes.  Huh?  I thought he was an Egyptian Guard?  Aren't his muscles his costume?  I must have looked a little panicky because you said, "don't worry, it's just straight stitches".

Do you know that even straight stitches can still be sewn wrong and unpicked over and over?

Just when I thought I was conquering most of this mom stuff, I found out I am LAME.  How is that I can play Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony but can't figure out how to assemble a pair of pants?  My brain was hurting a little, but I finally figured it out after analyzing my pj bottoms.

You probably noticed I cheated and "glue gun" sewed a couple of things.

I still don't know what a "yolk" is, but I sewed it anyway.  Nothing to do with oxen or eggs, come to find out.

The costumes are due today, but don't panic.  I'm using a wooden spoon to right side out a belt and then I am done. Finis.  Sianara costume making.  Last year's costume I had a friend of a friend sew for me and then took her dinner.  Now I know that she was grossly underpaid.

I'm so pathetic that after sewing each piece I laid it out, displayed for all to admire.  "Emily, I didn't know you sewed, too!" - I fantasized people saying.  One person actually did, and I almost died of happiness.

Will my name be in the credits on the program? Will I get flowers at the end of the show?

Sincerely,
Mom in Stitches (Insane Laughing)

p.s.  I didn't have any purple thread to hem Josh's purple loincloth this morning.  So he got what I currently had in the machine.  GOLD.  On the purple loincloth.  Nice.  They might consider changing the title of the show to "Joshua and the Amazing Technicolor Loincloth".... 

5 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

My goodness! My child's outfits would have ALL been put together with a hot glue gun!! Good job Em!! I didn't know you knew how to sew:)

Robin Grant said...

And with all the other amazing things you do, you sew too. You truly are the most awe inspiring friend I have. Way to go. From Idaho the costumes look great!

Diane said...

Sounds like a nightmare to me! They sure look good. Nice job Emily!

Jeannette said...

Emily I tried to tell you to give it to someone else to do, but you just couldn't help yourself from taking on a challenge. When I was sewing costumes and dresses for you I unpicked more than I sewed I believe. But congrats for accomplishing the task. Don't give up your day job, however....

englandmom14 said...

SEW...now you're a seamstress too!
You always SEAM to have a new project at hand. I am amazed that you manage to find the time. Everything looked great from here. I'm sure he was quite proud to wear your creation. It reminds me of the days when the kids would come home from school and not remember until after they'd gone to bed that they needed 40 cupcakes (or fill in the blank)for the next day. Gotta love all the extras that kids lives include huh?
You seem to do an amazing job of keeping up with things. Cudos!