Monday, March 1, 2010

Beet That

I signed up and received my first Bountiful Basket order, a food co-op basket full of veggies and fruits.  See bountifulbaskets.org.  It comes weekly with 35 lbs. of food and we got some yummy stuff!

The thing is, though, it had a bunch of beets in it.  Well, 6.  That seems like a lot, right?  I think I saw beets once in a salad for RS, but other than that.... not so yum for me.  So I got online and found a recipe that sounded like it had more potential than most. 

BEET PANCAKES.  Dwight Shrute would be proud.

No, don't judge me.  The recipe had me at "caramelized" in butter.

First I cut off the rat-tail looking ends.  Beets look sort of bloody.  Just sayin'.


Throw them in the food processor, and mix with some seasoning like salt and rosemary and flour.  The flour part sounds familiar in pancakes at least.  Maybe it won't be so bad.  Probably won't use syrup.


Pat into a circle and squish down with a spatula and let it caramelize.  Just the sound of that word makes me happy.  Even if it IS with beets.

Try not to caramelize it TOO much.  Slight fail.

It looks so appetizing once it's on the plate.  (queasiness setting in)


Me:  "Hey Michael, come try one of these beet pancakes I made!"
Michael:  "Um, I was already asleep on the couch.  Just headed to bed."
Me:  "Wait, come back.  I try the weird stuff you make.  Sometimes."
Yep.  Don't tell Dwight, but beet pancakes be N-A-S-T-Y.

16 comments:

englandmom14 said...

okay em, i could barely get through this post, gag! lol. i HATE beets, i've always HATED beets, and i HATE them even more now! DISSSSS-GUSTING! Poor Michael! I say find a beet lover and offer them as a gift! lol

Kimberly said...

My mom always grew lots of beets in the garden. We ate them all the time, and she did some amazing things with them! I'll get her recipes, and send them to you. Then, you'll be prepared when they send you more beets. :-)

My sister used to do this, too, and she got some very interesting things in her basket from time to time.

Jenn said...

How funny Emily! That sounds like something I would do. :D (p.s. my husband loves pickled beets! But I don't make them. He shops in the "Wood Grocery Store" (his parents storage room). :)

Jen said...

One beet would have been plllenty. This reminds me of the year that we didn't thin the beets in our garden because it rained every minute. When we finally got to them they had all glommed together and were the size of watermelons. I was ready to take a picture and chuck them, but Ben stood in the kitchen all night long painstakingly peeling and cutting them up to freeze. A freezer full of beets? Hmmmm....too bad I didn't have that pancake recipe before I threw them all out while Ben's back was turned.

Robin Grant said...

I love beets. Each summer I can several jars of pickled beets to use on salads all year long. Pickled beets are delicious. Pancakes? Not so sure about that.

jenpetersen said...

There is a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jerry Seinfield's wife. It has recipes where you puree veggies and hide them in foods so your kids get a variety of veggies that are good for them. I think it has beets in it.

Six-Pack Momma said...

When I first saw what your post was about, I realized I totally SPACED getting my basket last Saturday. Oops! But seeing how those beets turned out, maybe I'm OK with the donation I made! :)

Sovic Clan said...

I am jealous you got it!! I have been trying for weeks to get in!! Looks yummy. The basket. Not the beets:p

alison said...

I'm still trying to get over the Chicken Nugget one you posted last Friday.

Katrina said...

I would say find a recipe for the Russian soup borscht. It's a nice way to use up beets, but it doesn't really taste like beets. We did a co-op farm share in MN last year, and we ended up with the weirdest vegetables - pea greens, and leaves that I don't think people should be eating. Leave them for the goats! But I loved the normal vegis!

Diane said...

Cool! Well, not the beets, but that you tried to do something with them. I would have put them in the fridge and waited for them to go bad so I could justify throwing them away. Lots of food gets thrown away that way! :)

Percy2626 said...

The beet pancakes sound like the way you make potato pancakes. Potato pancakes, good, beet pancakes, I think N-A-S-T-Y too! I do however like pickled beets once in awhile. Or you can just cut them and boil. I always have to tell my kids about the red side effects you get afterwards! My 13 year old forgets and is always worried there is something seriously wrong with him! My favorite part of beets is the greens though. My mum would cut the beet tops off and remove the bottom if they were too big. They are best when they are young beets tops, Then you boil or steam them. Just until wilted basically, the stem needs to be a bit soft too. Then you serve them with pepper, lots of butter and everyone puts a sprinkle of vinegar on them on your plate. MMMMmmmm delicious.

Good luck with your next beets! If you really find you don't like them, I'm sure you have a food bank around you cold donate them too, or someone in your ward that LOVES them! Just a thought. :D

Julie Smith said...

Beets make me ill. Ugh! Can't you just extract the juice and use it to dye your homespun fabrics? :)

Jen Paris said...

LOVE Bountiful Baskets. Isn't it great? The only problem is that here there are so many people that do it, the site sells out in like 10 seconds, so it's getting hard to get. :(
i've never had a beet before.

Brit said...

I'm dying! This is one of your best posts yet! (tied only with the maggoty boot)!!

Jeannette said...

Maybe if you had put a little powder sugar and butter on top of the pancake Michael wouldn't have noticed that it looked like a huge scab. ...Just sayin'....