Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dough What is Right, Let Consequence Follow

I love me some cookie dough.

But why does the world food board have to say blah blah blah about eggs and salmonella and blah blah blah it will make you sick?  Have I EVER gotten sick from cookie dough?  NO.  (Does the time I ate nearly the whole batch of snickerdooodle dough count? -because if it does than that is a tiny almost imperceptible yes but only because of obvious reasons, not eggs.)

Even the kids scold me for eating snitches.  Kids?  Don't kids naturally know about the goodness of cookie dough, not about foodborne illnesses?  Confession time:  once when they were all in grade school I didn't have time to bake cookies for their lunch, so I plopped big globs of chocolate chip cookie dough in baggies, and was voted best mom EVER.  Even their friends had lunch envy.  I have been known to do that a few times since to boost my ratings.  No one ever died, only of happiness.

Related side topic:  I have this kind-of-gross-fantasy about cookie dough ice cream.  If I sucked off the ice cream and just left all the little tiny balls of dough and formed them into a bigger ball.... would it really bake into a cookie?  I've never been able to eat the ice cream and not the dough chunks to try it.  I love a good treasure hunt in my ice cream.... can't..... resist..... chunks......

Related side topic #2:  My mom used to eat raw hamburger when she was a kid.  She liked it.  So you see, I was raised by savages and my raw cookie dough love is mild.

Back to the topic:  Okay, so imagine my-- what's the word-- (insert word that means shock, delight, and humor) when I came across this recipe for EDIBLE COOKIE DOUGH.  I mean, there is a market for those who prefer dough to the cookies themselves:  me.

Edible Cookie Dough

1 c. butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp. water
2 c. all purpose flour
salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. chocolate chips

1.  Assemble and premeasure the ingredients.  Set the butter out to soften at room temperature.
2.  Cut the butter into chunks (my favorite word).  Place it and the brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Beat on medium until smooth and creamy.
3.  Turn off the mixer.  Add the flour, water and vanilla.  Blend until mixed well.  Add the chocolate chips while the mixer is running.  Continue mixing 15 to 20 seconds until the chips are distributed throughout the dough.
4.  Use a melon baller to portion the dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Place the dough balls in the freezer until firm.  Store in resealable plastic bags and enjoy as a snack.
5.  Make cookie dough ice cream (be still my heart) by blending a softened pint of good vanilla ice cream with 10 to 12 dough balls.  Allow the dough to break up throughout the ice cream.  Store the finished ice cream in the freezer.

Tips and Warnings:
- for a lighter flavor, use half brown sugar and half granulated sugar.
- this cookie dough is NOT suitable for baking.  It does not contain all the ingredients necessary to produce a proper cookie.


HA!  Take that, anti-salmonella fear mongers!   I shall eat my edible cookie dough.  And you can't stop me now.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are making me want to break my diet ----Oh, I mean life style change. Hey wait a minute, it's lower fat without the eggs.... bring it on!! Thanks for the recipe sis!

Jeannette said...

OK, to defend myself about the raw hamburger.... I was starved as a kid and anything tasted good. I liked it best when the hamburger was ready as meatloaf just before it was cooked. Yes, I know that sounds gross, but my mom never told me to NOT EAT IT BECAUSE IT WASN'T GOOD FOR ME... we just didn't know any better then. And when your kids are grown they'll probably find out something else that you have been eating raw now wasn't good for you either. Not only that but we used to make orange julius drink from raw eggs, orange juice, milk and a little sugar and ice. Yummy. Can't do that now because.... RAW EGG?? Oh, my no!!! Oh, and Yes, I AM STILL ALIVE!!!

Kimberly said...

When I was a freshman, my friends and I had a home teacher who was always asking us for cookies. So, we saved all the cookie dough from our milkshakes, and we did try to bake it into cookies. It worked okay, and the guy ate them, which is all we really wanted anyhow.

Annalee said...

I LOVE cookie dough and crave it ALL the time. Jake keeps telling me that I'm going to get sick from the raw eggs and my explanation is that I have been eating it since I was a kid and so far....never been sick!! I think they have got the whole eating raw eggs will give you salmonella all wrong!! Haven't gotten it yet! And I'd be shocked to know if anyone ever really has!! Like Jennifer, I too should have skipped your post! Dieting, I mean lifestyle changes need to have cookie dough in there somewhere...I'm just not sure where to put the calories!

Percy2626 said...

Nope, I don't get sick from eating cookie dough either. I don't even know anyone who has!

I also know someone who to this day, eats raw hamburger. GAG! Makes me ill just thinking about that.

However, when we do make cookies, everyone here prefers the dough. So sometimes, I just make the regular chocolate chip cookie dough and leave out the eggs, cause of all the BLAH, BLAH, BLAH about eggs and salmonella! Kids learn about that stuff at school and then come home and lecture you about it!

A teenager came home and told us about bad stuff in handlotions, some makeup brands, and various other things. I can't say what she said it would do to you, as this is a family blog! So I think schools are just there to educate us on everything bad that could maybe in some distant time possibly go wrong with anything!

Six-Pack Momma said...

Thanks for the recipe! My SIL got salmonella from cookie dough, and I once got it from chicken. I wanted. to. die. So I have never sonce eaten cookie dough (except for Papa Murphy's- it's pasteurized, so I have eaten that, but it's not the same.) I'm gonna try this tonight! and the ice cream? mmmmmmm.....

Lekili said...

You are dedicated...I think I'll just keep spoonin in the good old chocolate chip cookie dough...love it! And you.

Jen said...

Your Mom is fancy! Steak Tar Tar is a delicacy, you know. I'm totally stealing this cookie dough recipe. The world needs this information.

Jen Paris said...

the only thing I can comment on is the raw hamburger...ugh!!!!

Diana Rice said...

Any cookie dough can be edible if you use egg beaters or powdered eggs in the recipe. Those types of eggs are already pasteurized.

Nanna

Audrey said...

I love this. I will be trying it. soon. Maybe i should serve it at my wedding. yes?

Percy2626 said...

Just made chocolate chip cookies yesterday. I ate some dough and thought of your eggless recipe on here! Not sick today! :D

Leah said...

The raw hamburger is hilarious!!!! Thank you for all of your fun posts, Emily. You are my type of girl!

Diane said...

Okay Emily - the most important thing - HOW MANY WW POINTS? I'm hoping for a half, quarter, zero? :)