Anywho, now I'm WAY better because....
1) I've been going to physical therapy. They make me feel gooooood. Tomorrow I'm trying massage therapy. I know, it's rough.
2) I let people take pictures of me while fitting into an overhead compartment on an airplane. Or maybe it was an MRI.
Diagnosis: 2 bulging discs in my neck.
Look, I have a brain! *claps for self*
And that white stuff on my back is probably not fat. Probably.
The pulsating MRI machine got Suzuki violin songs stuck in my head, a distraction of sorts.
3) I have home exercises and equipment to use.
And what, pray hello kitty might this be? Medieval torture?
Pure dorkiness? No, it's cervical traction.
The kind of cervical in your neck, ahem, thank goodness.
The kind of cervical in your neck, ahem, thank goodness.
This handy device hauls my head up with a pully system using a 10 lb. bag of water... opening up my spine and relieving pressure on the nerve. 30 minutes a day, baby.
If I look a bit stoned it's because I actually fell asleep in it and woke up with less blood circulation in my head than is minimally recommended.
4) I got to take steroids for 6 days. A medrol dose pack that helps relieve severe pain and inflammation. I was pretty much transformed into a powerful athlete overnight. You may touch me now.
So my doctor says:
"After age 30 the discs begin to degenerate."
I really don't think "30" and "degenerate" should be used in the same sentence. It's just rude. Boo.
3 Things:
1. I got to wear clothes in the MRI, even though it can see through them.
2. I'm cleared to play violin. Me and Archuleta will rock Christmas.
3. I think the doctor said unsaid I need chocolate every day to get better.



5 comments:
Maybe he wasn't saying that your discs were "degenerating" but that you were a degenerate! lol. just sayin'! Hope you're back in fighting shape soon. Even incapacitated you're the best violin player i know! Hang in there!
This has been a difficult time for you, I know. I'm so glad the problem is not any more serious because we all need you to be back to your old self. It's hard to see someone you love get down. Horray for you for driving through a tough time!! Keep up the good work!
OK, 'bout PEEEEED my pants laughing at this. Before I read you thought you looked stoned, I was thinking -she looks seriously drugged!! Where was that neck thingy when my back was out. It would've felt SOOOO good. Hey did they give it to you? I may need to borrow it.....LOVE YOU.
Emily... I'm in shock! I thought you weren't coming to Orchestra because you actually decided to stay sane and slow down a bit. I had no idea that you were in pain, suffering and all that jazz. So sorry to hear. Next time I'll be a bit more nosey and ask around in orchestra. Actually, I hope I know when to quit. The last orchestra concert I was in so much pain from all the rehearsing and sitting on my chair... with a sciatic nerve problem that I was almost in tears. I barely made it through. We just try to do too much! Miss seeing you. I will keep you in my prayers.
Holy Cow! Check out the torture device. Does it actually help?
Post a Comment