Sunday, December 5, 2010

Musician humor.

Ward choir practice today.

The director wants the final chord to change from minor to major.  You know, a happy ending on an otherwise sad sounding song.

ANYWHO.

I confidently throw out, "That's called a Piccadilly 3rd.  Resolving a minor song in a major key."

Immediate responses:  "Of course you are a brilliant musician and would know that!"  "Wow we got a music genius back here!"

I maybe gloated a little.  Pretty sure no one else even knew that. 

A tap on my shoulder.  New girl on my right, whispers:  "I always thought it was called a Picardy 3rd."

Yup.  Picardy suddenly sounded much more familiar. 

Picardy, Piccadilly. Whatever.  It's all in how confidently you say it.  But new girl, let's just keep that to ourselves.  I gotta keep all the respect I can get.  (Which ain't much.  My brain is a little fried.)

11 comments:

englandmom14 said...

hillarious! i can so see you handling this little faux pas with such ablomb! you are a card! so nice to check in and see you've posted. you always make me smile. here's to christmas carols and hymns!

Unknown said...

that is so funny. Piccadilly is more fun to say, anyway.

If you still want to be in on the december gift exchange, I need you to email me your address. arzabud@msn.com

or let me know if you don't want to do it also.

THANKS!

Julie Smith said...

Funny. You guys sounded fab last night by the way. When is the David Archuleta concert?

Maryn said...

That's awesome. Piccadilly wins my vote any day!

SJ said...

HAhahahahahaha! I'm so glad I got to laugh about this twice. You da best. :)

Lekili said...

No one would ever think to question you Emily...cause we all know you are the brightest, beautifulest, funniest gal in town. Thanks for all the smiles you put on my face! You rock!

Jennifer said...

We are TOTAL sisters, because I was didn't even question Picadilly. It sounded right to me. Would've done the same thing....even after somebody corrected me!

Jeannette said...

Emily, Emily, Emily. What am I going to do with you? Just when I thought I had taught you a long time ago about a Picardy 3rd I realize you were just looking at the pictures.

Jen said...

Pahahaha!!!! Sooo awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

Marcel B said...

I would have remembered the name of the Picardy third, just for the record...

linsey said...

this made my whole week! piccadilly...TBBF's. you are a genius.