Sunday, February 13, 2011

Boys. Girls. The Valentines Spirit is in HYPER DRIVE.

It's begun.

L-O-V-E in my own children's lives.

Last weekend, Aubrey got a phone call from a boy.  A BOY!?  This is a first at our house.  He asked if she'd be his valentine (she and I both don't quite know what that means) and she said "yes" since she "didn't want to be rude".  Wha the what?  Apparently when she went to school on Monday she found out that several girls had gotten asked by the boys in the class over the weekend.   So... it's kinda sweet, kinda teenage preview, kinda not her thing, and kinda been played down so she won't get teased to death by older siblings.


And here is the even bigger HEADLINER news for Valentine 2011:

Benson went to the High School Sweethearts Dance.  He asked Keanne with a puzzle within a puzzle.


She had to put together a puzzle (no box, no picture) and on the back of the puzzle was his message:
Top Half

Bottom Half



She responded with a bag of taffy that had conversation sayings on the wrappers and ONE of them, so tiny had the word YES underlined.  Very cute Utah style asking to dance stuff.

Anywho-  

The dance was last night.  Keanne's a great girl and they made a fine looking couple, all matchy. 


Which leads to the headliner.

Benson came home from the date, said it was really fun, but that he had never been on such a strange group date, nor will he ever EVER have such a strange group date that could top this.

C'mon, Benson.  You are 16.  Ya got years to have crazy group dates.  Trust me, there will be some doozies.  What could have happened?

 ........

Well.... right before dinner, ONE OF THE COUPLES got E-N-G-A-G-E-D.  AT 16 YEARS OLD!!  RING AND EVERYTHING!!  No joke.  I asked him like 20 times.  It'll be a two year engagement, but hey.  Getting an education is important....

I would SO ground Benson if he got engaged right now.

I really really wanted to post a group picture, but in the interest of protecting these KIDS from embarrassment I had to hold back. Especially since I really hope they will save this for a "most embarrassing moment divulge" in 30 years and not really go through with it.

But, really?!

Cupid is workin' OT, folks.  Watch those arrows.

5 comments:

englandmom14 said...

love this post! the kids look great. crazy kids! engaged! What the face?
luckily my kids are all slow on the subject of serious relationship. like twenties not teens. but i gotta tell ya...v'day is the best and i love surprises. just not that kind. have a happy hearts day em!

FLEUR de Lo said...

I was about to write, "You must not be planning on going to BYU then," when I kept reading. SERIOUSLY?! I know--support is great, but here is where I must draw the line. :)
{Personally I don't think high school qualifies as "getting an education."}
Weird...

Julie Smith said...

Seriously, engaged! One of my friends got engaged at that age and actually went through with it. They got divorced a few years later. Holy Cow! To celebrate Valentine's Day at our house, both my boys broke up with their girlfriends. Lovely. I'm not sure either of them is great boyfriend material just yet. They're both kind of jerks (no offense boys, if you're reading this).

Jeannette said...

Don't let this engagement thing rub off on you, Benson. Grandma will have to start spying on you. Ask your mom about that. (BTW your date is beautiful and you, of course are handsome as ever...)

Jeannette said...

The picture of Aubrey is breathtaking. Nice job, Emily and of course you had a beautiful model. :)