Monday, April 13, 2009

Benson, Seriously

Benson had quite a day today. Here are the highlights:

Benson Highlight #1
:
Typically he hairsprays the daylights out of his hair to get it to stand up, even though it's fully trained now. So yesterday I suggested that perhaps less crispy hair on a boy is more attractive to the ladies. I like it when the crispy wears off. So he tried it out today... the softer look. And what did he get? Let's just say that as I was driving down the street to pick him up and from a distance I thought he was wearing a cowboy hat. "What's Benson wearing a cowboy hat for? The play? Oh, no. No cowboy hat. That's his hair?" Upon further inquisition, he said that the kids at school say that all he needs now is to grow out a beard and he'd look like a lion, with a full mane..... we'll be cutting it soon since it's a little wild, even for Benson. Do you think he gets reception from that thing? :)

Benson Highlight #2:
I was looking out the window after school to see Benson and his friends using the old zip line cable and pulley to hoist up the little kids' play yard into the tree.... only somehow they convinced Kurt, their small friend, to take a ride up in it, too. WHAT??!! "But mom, everyone likes our yard because there's always something to do here and the other moms don't let more than 3 or 4 of us come over." I wonder why?

They actually pulled Kurt up, then tied the cable to the benches. Kurt was freaking out, especially when Michael came out and told them that there was no way it would hold....

Can you see Kurt? He was panicking so Michael was there for the rescue.

Benson Highlight #3:

We were having family night tonight about sacrifice. Animal sacrifice was discussed, and Jessica was quick to make the connection: "So if we were an animal family, Benson, you'd be dead." Nice.

Benson Highlight #4:

In the car later tonight we were listening to an "oldies" station that plays music from the 80's. Puh-lease, oldies my foot. Anyway, I was singing along to A Ha's "Take on Me" and told Benson it was one of the songs we used to dance to when I was in high school. "Gross", he says. Then George Michael's "Father Figure"came on. I'm turning it up, and he tells me that he feels sorry for us and our music. "It's all breathy." Yeah, well. We'll see what his kids think of HIS music. What's funny is that my dad's music, The Beatles, was what I mostly listened to, and now Benson is a fan, too. Some music survives, some does not.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh! To be a kid again. Glad we survived!

Jen said...

Too funny! Take on Me is one of the songs that my kids Loooove- they've actually figured it out on the piano! And we totally hoisted my little sister up a tree in a bucket when we were little. I think it scarred her for life, really. I'm excited to get these kids together! P.S. The egg hunt post freeeeaked me out!!! That's a lot of people!

englandmom14 said...

em,
i love your blog postings. the stuff your kids come up with. i thought mine were crazy! I swear betsy has given me all my grey hairs. i love reading your blog, it always cracks me up!

Maryn said...

I love getting to know you better through your blog! And tell Benson that his hair does look a ton better without all of that hairspray. Seriously. Oh, this is Maryn J. :)