Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stef's Visit with Hayden

My sister, Stefanie had a baby 3 months ago and made the difficult decision to place him for adoption.

This week Stefanie was able to have a visit with little Hayden with his parents. They had pre-arranged for her to see him at this 3 month milestone. My parents and I were also invited. Although we've been watching him grow through Lynde's awesome blogging about him, we were anxious to hold him and to continue to find more closure to our sadness of missing him.

He looks wonderful and healthy and absolutely BEAUTIFUL and most of all he looks loved. Stefanie sweetly and tenderly told them how much it has meant to her personally that they were willing to raise him. You couldn't ask for better parents, really.

Just before she went in to see him, she showed us a little card she had made for him and we were all a little emotional. My emotions got the best of me when I saw her eyes and realized how much pain she has had and still faces. During the visit there were a few tears here and there for Stefanie, but I was impressed at how well she was able to hold it together. She misses him. Hayden was passed around and he was so calm and taking everything in. He even seemed to know he was being photographed! What a perfect little baby!

Towards the end, Stef turned to me and said quietly,"I know we said half an hour but I just need to hold him a little longer." Of course Lynde and Devin allowed her all the space she needed and were so excited to tell us funny stories about his personality. Such a necessary visit, a moment in time captured in our hearts.

She was a bit more emotional afterward, her heart feeling the goodbye. I know this will sound silly, but Hayden began to cry as we were passing him back to his parents and I felt like maybe he was a little bit sad to say goodbye, too. The thought of this choked me up a bit. Just a little spirit to spirit speaking. Either that or he was hungry! :-)

She has said more than once that she is so glad that Hayden will never have to worry about having a mom in her (Stef's) situation. It's been made even more clear recently when another girl in her program unexpectedly walked away from her recovery, leaving her 3 month old with his father. She feels like this just shows how difficult recovery can be, and to have it compounded with trying to care for a baby, even in the best recovery program possible it is SO difficult to do both.

Stefanie has so much love in her heart, she is so generous and notices the good in everyone around her. You can see clearly how addiction muffled this for awhile but as she is healing it's almost magnified now! I'm so proud of her. She is working so hard.

Anyway, Stefanie has a new glow about her and is so FUN to be with. She actually seems to be turning back the clock with her looks, too! I love her and pray for her to have the strength to stay healthy. I've really missed her.

11 comments:

alison said...

Way to go Em, you have me crying at 8:30 in the morning. The more I read and looked at the pictures, the stronger the tears. Truly touching..

Sovic Clan said...

I agree. What a touching post! Beautiful pictures!

englandmom14 said...

thanks so much for posting this. your photos truly captured the spirit present at that meeting. there was a serenity present with both stef and hayden. i have so missed being able to see updates on him. following their story has made me feel part of their lives as well. they remain in my prayers. thanks again em.

Percy2626 said...

Thanks so much for this post! It is truly amazing to see a GREAT adoption story. Each one is so different. I believe your posts from beginning to present really show the emotion on every side of the story. Glad you could all see baby Hayden, what a cutie! I absolutely LOVE the last photo of just him and his beautiful smile. This is something he will be able to look back on as he grows up and know that he is LOVED by so many people.

Leah said...

The picture of your Dad holding little Hayden made me cry.

What a beautiful opportunity you guys had to do this. What a remarkable demonstration of love from both sides to allow this visit to happen. Hayden will know he is loved deeply by both of his moms and moms' families forever.

And yes, Stefanie is such a FUN girl. I'm glad to hear she is on her way to health.

Brit said...

such an amazing story, Emily. I'm so glad you would share it with all of us readers. Makes me refocus on what's important and make me a little less likely to take for granted the blessings in my own life. Good luck to Stef; I'm rooting for her.

Heather said...

That makes me sooo happy. Im so glad you keep us updated. I have been thinking about her the last few days and will write her tomorrow. Im so proud of her and love her and miss her.

Emily said...

You guys, I am so touched that you all are involved in our lives. This has been made easier because of your support and love and uplifting comments.

I love you all!

Kathryn said...

Such beautiful pictures. These will be such a treasure. Thanks for sharing the story!

Brooke Peterson said...

Thank you for sharing Emily. What a beautifully touching story this is.

kir said...

Wow, Emily--beautiful post with beatiful pictures. Your sister is very brave and so fortunate to have such a supportive fam...