Monday, May 18, 2009

The Adopting Family


Kim asked how the adopting family is doing. I know just a little so I thought I'd share:

Saturday afternoon they received the wristband so they could go visit the baby up at the hospital, and they spent several hours with him in the afternoon/evening. Sunday my mom went up to see the baby and the family was already there visiting him again, so they invited my mom in to the room where they were.

My mom was surprised to see so many extended family, mostly women. Sisters, aunts, grandmas of the adoptive mom. They welcomed my mom with open hearts and were quite emotional about what it must mean to our family. Wow, considering their situation is hanging out there, waiting to see what might happen.

They put their papers in to LDS family services and waited for 3 years with nothing coming available to them. Somebody suggested this agency and it wasn't long until Stefanie found them. They know Stefanie is still deciding. Their response? Of course Stefanie would struggle with this. They would wonder if she didn't. They are being so patient and calm. They went shopping with the kids to pick up a few things at Target and the kids started throwing a ton of stuff into the cart, they are so excited.

Their background that I know: LDS, sealed in the temple, he served a mission, most of their extended family lives here, they just built a home, he is a dentist, and they are all just as beautiful in person as in the photos. Tender, loving family. Their profile shows a lot of pictures at Disneyland, too. Hey maybe they could adopt me as well? :-)

The baby is doing well. When we are around them there isn't any feeling of being "territorial" with him, only that more people love him. I appreciate that they are willing to put their heart into this little boy not knowing the final outcome. The risk for pain is high but they are doing it anyway. Love is an amazing power.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks, Emily. I hope you didn't find my comment cold. I worried about that later. I was just curious, and hoping that they were being supportive of your sister. She needs that from all sides. You are ALL on my mind a lot, and I have a prayer in my heart for everyone.

Heather said...

What a beautiful family! How wonderful to know that so many people love this baby no matter the outcome.

Emily said...

Kim, you needn't worry. I knew what you were saying, and they definitely have a role in all of this and are part of the story, so I was getting around to that part anyway! Believe me, my perspective of them has really been influenced by the things you've had to experience and it has helped so much. Are things still quiet on the homefront for you?

Leah said...

Oh, Emily! I can't believe these last few posts. The emotions I'm sure are so hard to put into words. I hope and pray for the very best outcome. I read the poem you posted and was very touched by the line, "Your love was bigger than your pain." I'm so glad you and your mom are there for Stephanie. I pray that the Spirit will guide you guys in your conversations. Never underestimate your influence for good in this situation. I know she must look up to you so very much. Love you all.

Julie Smith said...

They seem great. I hope everything turns out the way Heavenly Father wants it too. What a hard time.